June is Men’s Health Month! We know that 70% of Men’s health problems can be prevented by adopting a healthy lifestyle. According to a recent study, by the Canadian Men’s Health Foundation (CMHF), 62 per cent of men said they had an unhealthy diet. On top of this statistic, 72 per cent of men had two or more unhealthy habits, including excessive drinking, and not getting enough sleep or exercise.
Starting small with simple shifts can create a stronger momentum of long lasting change.
The following tips are a great place to start!
- Stock the fridge with convenient grab and go meals and snacks. If it’s there and ready to eat, you’ll reach for it. From our salads, power bowls, healthier pizza options, organic veggie & fruit platters and homemade bars, you do not have to sacrifice health for convenience.
- Listen, Walk or Run: Download a podcast that you’ve been wanting to listen to and take it out on a walk or run. This is a great way to learn and move and time your exercise to the duration of the podcast discussion.
- Find a Stress Outlet: If you are more prone to bottling up the stressors in your life find methods that resonate with you to release this strain. This will help prevent stress-related health issues. If you are introverted, try simply writing down your thoughts on paper at the end of the day. If you are extroverted and like to talk it out, make an ongoing commitment to connect with a close friend who can hear you out.
4) Reduce Added Sugars: If you are looking for a starting place, cutting out added sugar
from your diet is the place to begin. Expect more energy, deeper sleeps, improved focus
and mood when you reduce sugar from your diet. Pay close attention to nutrition labels.
Men should not consume over 37.5 grams of added sugar per day.
5) Make Protein a Priority: After age 40, men may lose up to 8% of their muscle mass per decade. Include good quality protein at every meal. This can be in the form of plant based or ethically raised organic meats and fish. The below muffins are an easy way to get extra protein (with no added sugar) at breakfast or as a fast snack on the go.
High protein, low sugar
- 1 cup One Degree Organic Quick Oats
- 1 scoop Classic Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 cup Silk Unsweetened Coconut Vanilla Yogurt (can use Organic Apple Butter in place)
- 1/2 cup BurnBrae Farms Natureegg Egg Whites
- 1 Organic Whole Egg
- 1 tbsp Nature’s Emporium Yellow Maca
- 1/4 cup Elan Walnuts
- 1/4 cup Apple Juice Sweetened Cranberries
- 1/4 cup Stevia Sweetened Chocolate Chips
Preheat oven to 350F
- In a medium bowl mix in the oats, protein powder, maca and sea salt
- Add apple butter or coconut yogurt, egg, egg whites and stir until combined
- Chop walnuts and add to the mixture along with cranberries and chocolate chips
- Bake on the middle rack for 18-20 minutes (or when knife is dry after inserted into the middle)
Miranda Malisani, Holistic Nutritionist, Spokesperson and Director of Health & Wellness